Wednesday, December 15, 2010

run run repeat....

For journaling proposes... On Dec. 3rd I set out for my first 10 mile run, up until this point the most I'd had ever run was 8.7 miles. I thought "well I almost did 9 so I'll just jump to 10 no problem"... And it really was no problem, I did have to walk a little around mile 7...bad side ache = no fun...but once it was gone I felt good and felt like I finished it out strong. So the plan is every week increase my long run by 1 mile. On Dec. 11th I went for 11 miles! Annd yeah I finished, but it was hard! And I think it was more of a mental thing. My body was fine (and by fine I mean my legs were still working after almost two hours of running) but my mind was not right. I read somewhere, that your mind will give up before your body...and it's so true, my legs would keep running as long as I told them to...but around mile 9 my ipod died (never will I let this happen again) so I couldn't help but think about something...most of the time i'm running with a friend and we talk the whole time, but I was by myself after mile 6...So all I thought about was, how much longer, can I do this, just keep running, how can I run a marathon if I can't even run half....so when I finished instead of being excited I was really disappointed...and it didn't matter what I told myself...but I need to learn to celebrate the small victories, and not be so concerned with the ultimate goal. (i mean i just started running in October) but anyways now we're updated...and I think this Friday I'll only do 9 or 10 and be happy and think back to when I could barely do a mile :)

3 comments:

Rachael and Jeff Downs said...

You're amazing!!

Just keep runnin', just keep runnin', just keep runnin' runnin' runnin'...what do we do?? We RUUUUUUUUUN!!!!

jake and jenni said...

seriously, 10 miles is friggin' awesome...and you ran 11, remember? {even though it was tough you did it} you so totally rock.

Eric, Lexi, Reagan & Lakai said...

You're doing soo good! This inspires me to get back into running. I stopped when I quit working since I no longer had access to the company gym (treadmill) but I want to get back into it. BTW - I just checked out your craft blog, super cute!! I didn't realize you posted about how to make those ADORABLE blocks that you made Reagan for her first birthday! I love those blocks by the way!!